Protect your home this winter with the right insurance policy

As the days get colder and the nights draw in, one thing is clear. Winter is rapidly approaching, so it’s wise to take out home insurance & boiler cover with a reputable provider. This will provide you with a financial safety net throughout the cold months and will ensure you are prepared for an emergency – should one occur.

Of course, with so many policies available, it can be a little tricky to decide what type of insurance you need, but here’s a short guide to help you out:

Buildings and contents cover – what’s the difference?

If you’re looking to take out a home insurance policy, you have probably come across buildings and contents cover – so what’s the difference? Well, buildings insurance covers the physical structure of your home such as the roof and windows as well as any permanent fixtures like fitted kitchen or bathroom suites. While it’s not compulsory, most mortgage lenders will insist you have adequate insurance, so it’s worth doing your research.

Similarly, contents cover insures the items inside your home against theft or damage and could save you a lot of money. It protects everything from expensive jewellery to clothes and furniture and will allow you to make a claim in an emergency. To make sure you have adequate cover, walk from room-to-room and make an inventory of your possessions. This will help you work out what your equipment is worth and will ensure you receive the correct payout if something happens.

Understand how much you should insure your home for

As a homeowner, you must take out enough insurance to cover the rebuild cost of your home. In short, if your house was destroyed by a storm or burnt to the ground, your insurance company should pay for it to be built from scratch. While some companies offer unlimited cover – which means they will payout no matter what the costs – this could cost you more in the long run, so take the time to work out your wants and need. Remember, the rebuild cost is not the same as the market value of your house and is usually a lot lower.

Be prepared for high premiums if you live in a high risk area

According to reports, the recent bad weather had had a negative impact on insurance premiums. People across the UK are being charged more for their home insurance, with those in flood-risk areas being worse hit – so what can you do? Firstly, if you receive an unaffordable quote, contact your insurance provider and see if you can get the price to come down. If you can’t, it might be advisable to pay in monthly installments and incorporate the additional charges into your monthly budget.

Home insurance cover can save you money in the long-run, but remember to shop around.

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.